Monday, October 8, 2012

Houndstooth Coffee Table

One of the quickest and easiest ways to add a graphic punch to outdated furniture or walls is to use a stencil.  With so many great stencils out there, the possibilities are endless.  When I picked up this outdated and tired coffee table (sorry, no before picture), it was just begging for a new look. You've probably seen this style of coffee table around with it's shiny, cherry factory finish...it's a perfect size table to experiment with some stenciling.


I went through my go-to stencils that I've used many times, like my Stenciled Farm Table and my DIY Wrapping Paper.  One of the stencils that I hadn't tried out yet was the houndstooth one which is actually one of my favorites...I love houndstooth!
I painted out the table base in Graphite Chalk Paint and then painted the top in Martha Stewart's Aegean Blue.  When the blue was dry, I simply lined up the stencil and painted away with some more of the Graphite.  Afterwards, I did distress the paint a bit on the top and gave it good coat of wax to protect the finish.
Easy, peasy way to add of pop of pattern to a room!  This little table was off to Suzanna's yesterday.  My husband and I worked all afternoon installing and hanging light fixtures and getting my new booth set up.  I can't tell you how nice it is to have a little booth to sell from again - I've really missed it!  I'll share some pics later.

Kristen


Linking up to:

23 comments:

Shannon Fox said...

So classic in black and white! Looks like my harlequin tables big brother ;) Super cool!

Pamela said...

This looks greg Kristin! I may have to get a set of those. I am loving the bird stencil I see in there.

Pamela said...

This looks greg Kristin! I may have to get a set of those. I am loving the bird stencil I see in there.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Those types of coffee tables you described look so much better painted, Kristen. You did a great job with this one!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kristen...this is so very cute!!!...love it!...Can't wait to see the booth again!

Mary Anne Komar said...

Way cool! Love paisley's, plaids, and houndstooth, great and timeless piece!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a statement! Wonderful design, Kristen! I would say it adds a pop to the room... and a new life for an old table!

Vintage Paint and more... said...

This table looks great now love it... and I am so loving your stencil kit - going to have to find one for myself...

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

Fabulous, that will be snapped right up!

Unknown said...

What an awesome new look! I love houndstooth, too -- one of my favorite patterns! :-)

Kathryn said...

What a great statement piece! A friend of mine just gave me a table exactly like this. I've been debating what to do with it, but now I think I may follow your lead and use a stencil on the top. Can I ask where you get your decor stencils? I've never seen houndstooth!!

Unknown said...

Hi I am anew blogger and would love you to join my linky party Welcome Home Wednesday... www.vintageonadime.blogspot.com THANKS Debbie

Jeannie-JB said...

What a cool table - you have tons of patience and talent. Just had to stop by when I saw you at Savvy Southern Style.

Shelly said...

This is so pretty! I am a new follower and I love your blog and projects. Hugs, Shelly from shellybailey.blogspot.com

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

What an awesome job! I love black and white and houndstooth is such a great pattern!
Found you on Miss Mustard Seed's FFF.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kristen, that is fabulous. It was so great to meet you at the SBC. Loved your cute booth, too. Wish I had had a place for that map. Thanks for sharing at Wow. :)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kristen...I have to comment that this table is spectacular in person!!!.....So glad to have spent more time with you at the Southern Bloggers conference!...and please give your mom my regards...she was so helpful at the conference...the display was gorgeous! and, you did a fabulous job on the Milk Paint demonstration at the conference...!! Hope you have a great week!!

reFresh reStyle said...

It was wonderful to meet you and visit your shop! I love my purchases :)
Debbie

Connie said...

I just found your delightful blog, and I'm hooked. I love your whimsical touch on decorating. I also love that you are a clock person. I am always getting poked fun of for all my clocks.
I have been enjoying going through your posts, and if it wasn't for my housework calling me back . . . I could be here for another hour. You have so many great ideas.
I found you through mutual followers and now that I'm following too, I hope that you will return the favor. I would be honored to have you visit.
Have a marvelous day, Connie :)

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

Girl, I am constantly amazed and in love with your designs!! And amazing amazing Apartment Therapy pic on your blog...hooray for you!!!
Lots of love and Happy Fall
~
Hollie

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

Kristen, that table is gorgeous! I love houndstooth, and I would never in a million years have thought to stencil it on furniture. Beautiful. (Pinning.) I'm visiting from OneCreativeMommy.com.

Unknown said...

looks fabulous love it just ordered the stencils ;-)

Unknown said...

This table looks fabulous but everything you touch seems to be as well-love your blog and I featured this on my Saturday favorites so stop by to check it out-have a great weekend-Claire

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...